Welcome to CHEMISTRY
With: Stephannie Costello
Please e-mail me at...
- Course Outline: Lab safety/Measuring
Chemical equations and types of reactions
Chemical calculations and stoichiometry
Redox Reactions/ Electrochemistry
Kinetics and Equilibrium
- Student Evaluation:
- This is a hands on course designed to actively involve all students and enhance the skills necessary for abstract and critical thinking. Laboratory work is extremely important as I feel it is a true measure of authentic learning and true college preparation.
- Students will be evaluated primarily through their test, quiz and lab report scores. Class participation and ATTENDANCE is also of utmost importance and can favorably alter quarter averages.
- Please log on to “Parent Portal” to see your child’s grades. You may sign up to receive e-mail reports as often as you would like.
· All assignments to be graded will be evaluated on a point system (tests 70 points, quizzes 10-50 points, labs 10-20, homework 5-10). The quarter average is calculated using a ratio of the points earned by the student divided by the total available points for that quarter. The Mid-Term is 20% of the 2nd quarter average.· Homework will be assigned on Castle Learning· This is a regent’s course. The Chemistry Regents will be given in June to all students who have completed 20 hours of satisfactory lab reports. The Regents exam is worth 1/5 of the students overall average for the course.
Organic and Physical Behavior of Matter will be studied in a separately assigned 10 week course. These units attribute to approximately 20-25% of the questions on the Regents exam.
Colleges look for chemistry when evaluating applications