Nordic Ski 2019-2020
Posted 12/11/19 7:30 pmWe have had a few changes-this is typical of the sport of Nordic because it is so weather dependent.1. First-I am looking ahead to the relay race on the 28th over break. If possible, I need to know who will be here for that by the 19th. With relay races we have to set-up teams. It says Queensbury-but it may get moved to Gore.2. The race Thursday is cancelled. We have been figuring out practice for Thursday. It will remain cold so we should still be able to ski here. We will stay at school because we know the concert is Thursday night. If you were going to race you should be at practice. Don't make this a reason to now stay after school for a teacher.. We will start practice at 2:45 and end at 4:15. For those not in the concert you can stay and ski longer if you wish.3. There are many uncertainties about Saturday's race-the style of the race (skate or classic) may change/ the location may change to Gore or elsewhere, or they may cancel it. As much as we would all like these answers ahead of time I will most likely not know until Friday.4. If we do not race on Saturday we will practice in the am. if the weather is yucky we will be at school for a strength work-out.Hope to see more out there for practice on Thursday. Take advantage of this snow
Posted 11/12/19 at 8:30 pm
Check on the right column for the Team Jacket Order Form. It is not a mandatory Jacket. The cost is $108
Welcome to the Nordic Ski Family
- I do not have everyone’s e-mail…I will get this the first day of practice.
- Most everything I say in an e-mail I also put on the webpage so you can check here until you are on an e-mail list. I do not use the Remind App so you may want to link my e-mail to your phone. Parents can be on the e-mail list. Please try to use my home e-mail.
My home e-mail is email@example.com School: firstname.lastname@example.org. us
- How to access the webpage;
- Go to New Paltz Webpage then to High School
- Look under Quick Links for Coaches’ page
- When you open you should see announcements but also look at the links for clothing, equipment etc.
- You can get your skis on November 7th or after at Rock and Snow. The package cost $165 and it includes skis, 2 sets of poles, 2 sets of road ferrules, and your boots. You do need the boots to start roller skiing. If money is a problem, see me (Coach Gregory).
- Practice is generally 2:50 to 4:55. We spend most of the time outside -so have clothes for this. Sometimes we take a bus off campus. When this occurs, the bus leaves at 2:30 and it will return for the late run. There may be times on snow we will not make it back for the late run. You will know ahead of time when we go off campus so try to stay other times for your teachers.
Odds and Ends
Put your name on all of your equipment. All equipment looks alike and people grab the wrong stuff by mistake. It is nearly impossible to correct this. Take a picture of the numbers on boots, poles and skis.
1. The below link is what the ski jacket will look like-the cost is $105. The orders will go in on November 26th Nordic Ski Jacket Look. When you open the form it say's money due the 20th. It is due the 26th.
2. To change ferrules-place in hot/boiling water long enough to loosen the glue. Try to keep as much of the glue on the poles as you can. Have your snow baskets ready to place on. Make sure the baskets face the correct way. If you aren't sure, compare them to the other poles you have. Place the handgrips the same direction then you will see the direction the new baskets should go on. If you have a glue gun at home use this to aide the grip better.
3. I will try to get an e-mail list going again just in case...but anything I send by e-mail would be on the web page. If you want to be on the e-mail list send me an e-mail to email@example.com
Directions to Practices Off Campus
Pine Road: From the High School-Take 299…turn right onto Butterville Road. Take a left onto Pine Road. This is a dirt road between 2 rocks. Go to the top.
Spring Farm: From New Paltz- 299 to Springtown. Turn onto Springtown. Follow signs to Mountain House. Go past the entrance to the Mountain House, under bridge, down the hill. In the middle of the curve look for a sign that says Upper Knolls Rd. Turn right.
Rail Trail: On 32N. At the BOCES parking lot…across the road from Duzine school.
Trapps parking lot: Over cliff/under cliff: 299 (toward Wallkill View Farms) turn right onto 44/55-go past the visitor center- around the sharp curve-under the overpass-parking lot will be on your right.
High Ridge Road: Directions from the High School. Take 299...turn onto Springtown. Follow until Klein kiln Road (do not go towards Mohonk). Turn left onto Klein Kiln then your first right onto High ridge. Go to the end of the road. Do not park on anyone's properly or block driveways.
Tony Williams Park-Rail Trail in Highland: Take 299 towards Highland. Turn right onto New Paltz Road at the Hess Station. Continue-then turn left onto S. Riverside Road. Tony Williams is on the right.
Climbing Ridge Road:
It can be accessed from Route 44-55. At the Brauhaus(end of 299) turn left then left onto Guilford Road-then left onto Guilford Schoolhouse. At the end of Guilford Schoolhouse, turn right, then left onto Climbing Ridge.
Or you can come in from New Paltz to Albany Post Road, right on Tall Pines Rd., to Guilford Schoolhouse, then about 1 mile, Climbing Ridge will be on your right.
Guillford Farm Road
Directions: You can get there by going to the west end of Route 299 where it meets Route 44-55. Go left on to 44-55 and after about 100 meters turn left down Guilford Road (just past the Mountain Brauhaus and Mountain Harbor Deli). Go down that big hill just about one mile to the two red barns on the right. There's no house number but there is a blue house across the street. You can park on the grass along the fence line.
Outlook Farms Road
Go to the west end of Route 299. At Albany Post Road intersection take a right onto Albany Post Road (if coming from New Paltz). Take the first right onto Outlook Farm Road. Go down about 1/4 to 1/2 mile to the first intersection. We meet there.