Nordic Ski 2020-2021
1. As of now Nordic Skiing will start on 1/20/20
2. Rock and Snow will Rent packages for $100. You may only get one set of poles as there has been a lot of community rental. They will fit mid-way between classic and skate. I would wait until Thursday just to make sure the schools don't change their minds aboute starting up. I have not heard anything to the negative, but.....
3. Our schedule will remain local for most of the meets. We may try for a Saturday along the way. We are only allowed 50 racers so you can see we have a few races back to back. We may take Varsity one day and JV the next.
2020-201 Schedule: 2020-2021 Nordic Schedule
Remember there are more races listed on here than we actually do.
4. Mohonk is requiring us to do a COVID test each time we race there. This has to be done even though you do one for school in the am and you will also be doing one when we leave for each event. When we race at Mohonk just fill it out in the am when you fill out the school one. If you are under 18 your parent has to sign it.
Here is the link.
5. We also have to sign a one time waiver for Mohonk. We do this each year: If you understand what a OR code is you can do it this way. I have no idea what this is. There will also be a hard copy. You can't race or ski there is this isn't signed. Code below:
Posted 11/25/20 12:20 pm
Following today's Section 9 Meeting the Orange County league will not begin winter sports until January 19th due to COVID recommendations by CDC in their areas. MHAL (our league) will plan for a start date of January 4th-but this may get extended again based on COVID concerns and recommendations in our regions. As we all know by now this is an ever changing situation.
I would hold off on renting the skis. If it looks to be a snowy December and you want to get skis and go try it out that would be great. If you are a total beginner I would get skis with fish scales on the bottom (waxless). These are easier to try on your own. If you are a returning skier rent whatever you want. It may end up being a Skate year instead of a classic year. The reason for this is to prevent the passing around of corks and waxes.
If you are a member of Preserve-you can get on the trails and try out skiing. You usually start from Spring Farm. If you aren't a member there would be a daily cost. Minnewaska also has a daily rate. I assume some of the skiers may be out there and maybe they will put out an email when they go.
As coaches we can't organize anything until the season officially starts.
Please feel free to email me if you have any questions
Posted 11/16/20 at 1:00pm
Check on the right column for the Team Jacket Order Form. It is not a mandatory Jacket. The cost is $107
Nordic skiing is one of the sports that will be allowed to start on November 30th. We are excited to see to see this happen. There are details to be worked out in all sports on how it will work in our schools-but the process has started. Please see the section regarding rental of ski equipment (#4). There are some chages put in place this year.
Welcome to the Nordic Ski Family
- I do not have everyone’s e-mail…I will get this the first day of practice or you can send it to my home email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Most everything I say in an e-mail I also put on the webpage so you can check here until you are on an e-mail list. I do not use the Remind App so you may want to link my e-mail to your phone. Parents can be on the e-mail list. Please try to use my home e-mail.
My home e-mail is above.
School e-mail: email@example.com
- How to access the webpage;
- Go to New Paltz Webpage then to High School
- Look under Quick Links for Coaches’ page
- When you open you should see announcements but also look at the links for clothing, equipment etc.
- You can get your skis before November 26th or after November 30th at Rock and Snow. Do not go from November 26th to November 30th. The package cost $165 and it includes skis, 2 sets of poles, 2 sets of road ferrules, and your boots. You do need the boots to start roller skiing. If money is a problem, see me (Coach Gregory). The changes this year are. If we begin the season and part way through the Governer stops all the winter sports, Rock and Snow will give partial reimbursement if you do not wish to keep your skis and practice on your own. The policy is Returns before December 31st will receive $100 back. Returns prior to January 31st will receive $50 back. These refunds will not be given if you just decide to stop the team. You would have to speak with Rock and Snow on your own.
- Practice is generally 2:50 to 4:55. We spend most of the time outside -so have clothes for this. Sometimes we take a bus off campus. When this occurs, the bus leaves at 2:30 and it will return for the late run. There may be times on snow we will not make it back for the late run. You will know ahead of time when we go off campus so try to stay other times for your teachers.
Odds and Ends
Put your name on all of your equipment. All equipment looks alike and people grab the wrong stuff by mistake. It is nearly impossible to correct this. Take a picture of the numbers on boots, poles and skis.
1. The below link is what the ski jacket will look like-the cost is $107. The orders will go in on December 9th Nordic Ski Jacket Look. Remember these jackets have a 4 to 5 turn around. With the season starting late-the season will be well under way before the jackets arrive.
2. To change ferrules-place in hot/boiling water long enough to loosen the glue. Try to keep as much of the glue on the poles as you can. Have your snow baskets ready to place on. Make sure the baskets face the correct way. If you aren't sure, compare them to the other poles you have. Place the handgrips the same direction then you will see the direction the new baskets should go on. If you have a glue gun at home use this to aide the grip better.
Directions to Practices Off Campus
Pine Road: From the High School-Take 299…turn right onto Butterville Road. Take a left onto Pine Road. This is a dirt road between 2 rocks. Go to the top.
Spring Farm: From New Paltz- 299 to Springtown. Turn onto Springtown. Follow signs to Mountain House. Go past the entrance to the Mountain House, under bridge, down the hill. In the middle of the curve look for a sign that says Upper Knolls Rd. Turn right.
Rail Trail: On 32N. At the BOCES parking lot…across the road from Duzine school.
Trapps parking lot: Over cliff/under cliff: 299 (toward Wallkill View Farms) turn right onto 44/55-go past the visitor center- around the sharp curve-under the overpass-parking lot will be on your right.
High Ridge Road: Directions from the High School. Take 299...turn onto Springtown. Follow until Klein kiln Road (do not go towards Mohonk). Turn left onto Klein Kiln then your first right onto High ridge. Go to the end of the road. Do not park on anyone's properly or block driveways.
Tony Williams Park-Rail Trail in Highland: Take 299 towards Highland. Turn right onto New Paltz Road at the Hess Station. Continue-then turn left onto S. Riverside Road. Tony Williams is on the right.
Climbing Ridge Road:
It can be accessed from Route 44-55. At the Brauhaus(end of 299) turn left then left onto Guilford Road-then left onto Guilford Schoolhouse. At the end of Guilford Schoolhouse, turn right, then left onto Climbing Ridge.
Or you can come in from New Paltz to Albany Post Road, right on Tall Pines Rd., to Guilford Schoolhouse, then about 1 mile, Climbing Ridge will be on your right.
Guillford Farm Road
Directions: You can get there by going to the west end of Route 299 where it meets Route 44-55. Go left on to 44-55 and after about 100 meters turn left down Guilford Road (just past the Mountain Brauhaus and Mountain Harbor Deli). Go down that big hill just about one mile to the two red barns on the right. There's no house number but there is a blue house across the street. You can park on the grass along the fence line.
Outlook Farms Road
Go to the west end of Route 299. At Albany Post Road intersection take a right onto Albany Post Road (if coming from New Paltz). Take the first right onto Outlook Farm Road. Go down about 1/4 to 1/2 mile to the first intersection. We meet there.
Race Results 2019-2020
2019-2020 Race Results
1. Section 9 Race 1 Skate Race at Overcliff 12/2/19
4. Section 9 Race 2 1/8 /20 Lapland- Section 9 only
1/8/20 Overall Results
1/8/20 Beginner Results Skate 3K
1/8/20 Team Scores
5. Section 9 Race 3 1/28/20 Maple Ridge 7K Skate Race
6. Section 9 Race 4 at Prospect 2/1/20 Classic Race at Prospect
7. Section 9 Race 5 at Gore 2/8/20 Skate Race at Gore 9K boys 7K girls
8. Sectional Championship Race Boys 10.4 Skate Race at Prospect
9. Sectional Championship Race Girls 8K Skate race at Prospect
10. State Championship Boys 10K at Harriet Hollister Individual Results
11. State Championship Girls 7.5K at Harriet Hollister Individual Results
12. State Championship Boys Relays at Bristol: 3 x 3K Relays
13. State Championship Girls Relays at Bristol 3 x 3K Relays
14. State Scores Overall Scores