Economics Research Assignment #1--Examining Economic Theories ---- Presentation or Paper (Your Choice)
Assigned: 30 March Due: 14 April
1. This assignment is meant to provide you with a chance to do an in depth examination of an economic theory. Your work should reflect the abilities of a senior in high school
2. The rules of written English apply to this assignment.
3. Plagiarism//paraphrasing are not acceptable. You must give credit to your sources of information through parenthetical notation on each slide.
4. Encyclopedias are not valid sources for a work of this type. Valid sources have authors.
5. Be sure the language you use in your work is language you are able to understand and explain.
6. Presentation or paper must include citation of sources.
7. There will be either a research paper or presentation of your research, to the class, included in the assessment of your work. For presentations- order of presentations will be chronological. You must have a list of key terms separate from your presentation that others can look at while you explain the theory.
If you do a presentation, it must be in a power point, Prezi, or in a word document- along with some visuals that will help us learn about the theory. You must print out a copy of the presentation to turn in- it can be thumbnails8. Papers must be done in MLA format, parenthetical citations, with a works cited page. Type it in 12 point print.
9. Collaboration on research is good; presentations/papers must be prepared individually.
10. Your work must deal with these elements:
-when was the theory devised?
-to whom is the theory attributed?
-establish context--what conditions led to the creation of the theory?
-what are the key points of the theory-- how does it
(or is it supposed to) work?
-identify and explain flaws in the theory-your assessment--
is the theory meant to describe how an entire economy works, of is it part of a larger picture- limited to a certain topic?
does the theory "hold water?"
do elements of the theory still operate today?
are there elements of the theory which might help solve or understand some of the economic problems we face today?
You may choose one of the theories listed, or another you have heard of through family, the news, etc. You must cite thge sources you use
Topic List 3a//2bThomas Malthus—diminishing returns, checks on population --Adam Smith—competitive markets, absolute advantage, laws of the marketplace --
David Ricardo—iron law of wages, comparative advantage --
Jeremy Bentham—utilitarian socialism --
Robert Owen—Utopian socialism --
Charles Fourier—Utopian Socialism--
Karl Marx—Marxist Socialism--
Herbert Spencer—Social Darwinism --
Thorstein Veblen—Theory of the Leisure Class/conspicuous consumption --John Maynard Keynes—Deficit Spending --Joseph Schumpeter- Creative Destruction --
The Business Cycle—1920’s-1940; the present-Walt Rostow—stages of growth --
Affirmative Action—JFK, LBJ, supreme court decisions --
Supply Side/Reaganomics—the 1970’s, 1980's --Milton Friedman, Alan Greenspan, Ben Bernanke-- monetarism --Thomas Friedman- Globalization --