Financial Aid - Applying for Aid

  • Attention Seniors!!!! Are you a high school senior and still need assistance completing your free application for student aid (FAFSA) or your application for the NYS Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)?  Let the NYS Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) help you navigate your FAFSA or application for TAP on October 3, from 6:00 pm to 7:00 pm.

    If you’re graduating and planning to attend college you must complete the FAFSA in order to qualify for grants, loans, work-study programs, and, in many cases private scholarships.  The NYS application for TAP must be completed to qualify for the tuition assistance program and many New York State financial aid assistance.

    Visit for more information.

    Click here to begin the process of filling out your FAFSA


    Do you have questions about your NYS grants, scholarships or loans? If so click here


    If you need to complete your FAFSA Entrance Counseling, please click here


    Loan Types

    Subsidized Loans are loans for undergraduate students with financial need, as determined by your cost of attendance minus expected family contribution and other financial aid (such as grants or scholarships). Subsidized Loans do not accrue interest while you are in school at least half-time or during deferment periods.

    Unsubsidized Loans are loans for both undergraduate and graduate students that are not based on financial need. Eligibility is determined by your cost of attendance minus other financial aid (such as grants or scholarships). Interest is charged during in-school, deferment, and grace periods. Unlike a subsidized loan, you are responsible for the interest from the time the unsubsidized loan is disbursed until it’s paid in full. 

    Parent PLUS Loans are loans that the Federal Student Aid office offers to parents borrowing on behalf of their children. Parents can borrow up to the full cost of attendance of their child's school minus any financial aid their child has already received. (Also known as a Direct Plus Loan)

    Federal Pell Grants are awarded only to undergraduate students who display exceptional financial need and have not earned a bachelor's, graduate, or professional degree. (This is money that you will not have to pay back)

Last Modified on August 17, 2023